cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Reilly <>
Subject Re: [report] Classloading problems between Catalina and Cocoon
Date Thu, 22 Feb 2001 17:35:30 GMT

There's no reason going from .java to a Class object should be any
harder than going from .class to a Class object.  If the compiler used
ClassLoader's instead of manually reading .class files in through the
file system, fast in-memory compilation becomes a possibility (and
your runtime classpath becomes the same as your compiler classpath).

That said, I think javac is never going to be this compiler, at least
not any time soon.  They just re-wrote it and I doubt they'll do it
again.  A more mobile open source project like KJC is probably more

"Pier P. Fumagalli" <> writes:

> James Duncan Davidson <> wrote:
> > on 2/15/01 10:12 AM, Stefano Mazzocchi at wrote:
> >
> >> today's java compilation technology stinks!
> >
> > Or rather, the method of accessing today's Java compiler stinks.
> Nono, the whole technology stinks. To include Java classes JAVAC doesn't
> rely on the classloader, but on single File objects, and that causes
> problems when compiling stuff like JSP...
> >> Pier and I started talking about a JSR for Java Compilation API months
> >> ago and I even wrote a JSR-ignition document but the 'javac' team sucked
> >> it, well, I don't know anything about it.
> >
> > I'll check up on this.
> We were talking with Bill Maddox, and apparently, he left Sun for Transmeta
> without saying anything. That's why the whole discussion went down the
> drain. Just a FYI..
>     Pier

Tom Reilly
Allaire Corp.