cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: Quick point on xinclude syntax.
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:22:48 GMT
On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Last time I checked, the XInclude syntax changed from elements to
> attributes, following the xlink metaphor. And I believe this is a better
> way of doing things since xinclusion is a behavioral property (like
> link) not a structural one.
>
> Did the proposal went back on elements? I'll checkit out myself, but in
> that case, I'll propose to drop support for Xinclude alltogether and
> implement our own namespace for that, also because there is a problem
> with XInclude:
>
> what happens if I *DON'T* want Cocoon to process my xinclude stuff?
>
> XInclude is mostly designed (like almost anything from the xml-linking
> group) for client side operation. What happens if mozilla starts
> supporting xinclude on the client side? how do I send something from
> Cocoon to mozilla escaping the xinclude stuff?

i think ideally, you'd lobby the w3c working group to add a new attribute
to the xinclude:include element indicating where processing of the
xinclude may or may not occur. realistically, i think we're better off
writing our own namespace. as "nice" as it would be to be conform to
standards in all aspects of cocoon, when the standards are fluctuating,
aren't implemented by anyone other than us, don't fully address our
issues, and are fairly trivial anyway, i think we can feel good about
breaking new ground instead.

- donald