cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <>
Subject Re: Standardizing XSP Namespaces
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2001 03:33:02 GMT
On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Jeff Turner wrote:

> While everyone's talking about taglib namespaces, is there any consensus on
> what non-"official" taglibs should use?
> Possibilities:
> 1) http://<somecompany>/xsp/<taglib>/<version>
> 2)<taglib>/<version>
> The second is effectively Apache donating a bit of "name space" to taglib
> authors.
> I'd prefer 2), because taglibs are the products of individuals, not
> companies. What if I'm not affiliated with a company, or I change from
> <somecompany> to <anothercompany>? No doubt, one could use URNs or something,
> but that's my other reason: "rememberability" ;) It's much easier to remember
> taglib namespaces if they all start with "" and all
> follow a regular pattern.

sorry, but no, i don't think i could stand for that. we can't open up the namespace to all and sundry who happen to write an xsp
logicsheet. by all means, i welcome development of xsp logicsheets by all
and sundry, but under their own namespaces. if we all vote to include a
3rd party logicsheet in the core xsp namespace, then they can (and should)
be in the namespace, but not otherwise.

> "RDDL offers an answer to "what might a namespace URI mean?" by providing:
>   a text description of some class of resources and of other resources
> related to that class. It also contains a directory of links to these related
> resources. An example of a class of resources is that defined by an XML
> Namespace. Examples of such related resources include schemas, stylesheets,
> and executable code. A Resource Directory Description is designed to be
> suitable for service as the body of a resource returned by deferencing a URI
> serving as an XML Namespace name."
>  --

that's a good idea. if it pans out as described here, then it's
practically mandatory that we choose (1) above - if only so that
logicsheet authors can create and maintain its RDDL documentation.

- donald

View raw message