cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: Standardizing XSP Namespaces
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2001 01:51:46 GMT
On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> This is in regards to the namespaces for XSP.  It is fairly
> fructrating when you have to deal with changing the namespace
> URI when there is nothing _Functionaly_ different between the
> two logicsheets.
>
> I would like us to choose one URI for each of the included
> Logicsheets in Cocoon.  This is already done for ESQL, and
> it would _really_ make Donald's and everyone else's job
> alot easier in maintaining them.

you rock the party for taking this on.

> The critical ones are the ones that are currently in both
> repositories:
>
> Cocoon 1                                           |Cocoon 2
> Prefix   | Namespace                               | Prefix       | Namespace
> xsp      | http://www.apache.org/1999/XSP/Core     | xsp          | http://apache.org/xsp
> request  | http://www.apache.org/1999/XSP/Request  | xsp-request  | http://apache.org/xsp/request
> response | http://www.apache.org/1999/XSP/Response | xsp-response | http://apache.org/xsp/response
> util     | http://www.apache.org/1999/XSP/Util     | util         | http://apache.org/xsp/util
> sendmail | http://apache.org/cocoon/sendmail/v1    | sendmail     | http://apache.org/cocoon/sendmail/v1
> esql     | http://apache.org/cocoon/SQL/v2         | esql         | http://apache.org/cocoon/SQL/v2
>
> This is before I start porting the rest of the core
> Logicsheets to Cocoon 2.
>
> Cocoon 2 URIs
> -------------------
> pros: simple, short
> cons: no versioning
>
> Cocoon 2 URIs
> -------------------
> pros: versioning
> cons: long
>
> My proposal is to make all the URIs like the last two entries
> (sendmail and esql), because they are simple, and versioning
> is included.

i'd almost concur, but on the xsp-dev list, matt requested a move to a
cocoon-agnostic namespace for shared xsp logicsheets (he has an impl of
esql and is discussing doing some others). on the one hand, he's got a
point, maybe something like this would be better:

http://apache.org/xsp/sendmail/v1

on the other hand, i'd hate to make people change namespaces again. boy,
it sure seems like the namespace working group could have antipicated this
problem and written in some support for namespace migration... well, c'e
la vie. anyway, i have no strong opinion one way or the other, so i'd let
people vote. do we stick with this scheme

http://apache.org/cocoon/sendmail/v1

or generalize to

http://apache.org/xsp/sendmail/v1

> After dependancies on prefixes are resolved, the expected
> results should be that if the stylesheet creates elements,
> they should belong to the associated namespace, using the
> default prefix.

i will love you forever when you remove the dependencies on namespace
prefixes.

- donald