cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Scott_B...@lotus.com
Subject Re: SAXON and Cocoon 2
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2001 19:41:14 GMT

> If Saxon is stable and fast (which it seems to be) it would be great to
> have it as Xalan alternative.

Not to be defensive, but you might take a look at SAXON vs. Xalan in
pipeline scenarios.  We've done a lot in Xalan to make these pipelines move
along which I think was part of the Cocoon requirements, and contributes to
the complexity of Xalan.

Also, the speed and robustness of XalanJ2 is likely to improve faster if
people use it and work with us to solve whatever problems are found.

None of this is to say that work shouldn't be done to enable SAXON as an
alternative.  Interoperable extensions are problematic, however.

-scott

                    Conny

                    Krappatsch           To:     cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org

                    <conny@smb-te        cc:     (bcc: Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus)

                    c.com>               Subject:     Re: SAXON and Cocoon 2

                    02/07/2001

                    04:58 AM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    cocoon-dev

On Tue, 06 Feb 2001 15:44:21 -0500
Berin Loritsch <bloritsch@apache.org> wrote:
> Is anyone planning on getting SAXON to work with Cocoon 2?
> My feeble attempts have all failed.  SAXON is supposed to be
> jaxp compliant, and all the examples I have seen from the
> SAXON archive are pretty much the same as for Xalan 2.
>
> SAXON is a little faster than Xalan 2 right now, so I wanted
> to give it a shot.

After a first try with Saxon and a quick look at the sitemap code it looks
like the sitemap is based on some Xalan specific extensions, e.g. in
sitemap.xsl line 25:

<xsl:variable name="factory-loader"
select="java:org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.XSLTFactoryLoader.new()"/>

For some reason this causes Saxon to throw a
TransformerConfigurationException at
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.markup.Logicsheet line 89. The
exception is catched and causes a NullPointerException at line 91 (maybe
the log writer isn't inititalized).

If Saxon is stable and fast (which it seems to be) it would be great to
have it as Xalan alternative.

regards,
Conny