cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Rogard" <mar...@vibes.net>
Subject RE: [ot] XSLT pain in the *?
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:38:49 GMT
Hi,

XSLT is very powerful but in real world production the problem I faced is no
one want to write stylesheets:
- Developers says this is too restrictive, not a real langage and say it's
not their job.
Sometimes they agree to write an XSP Logicsheet but they are now really
angry about writing *a lot* of text (<,>) instead of just writing beautiful
OO Servlets (yup i know they don't have exactly the same role but..).
- Graphists says they don't want to open an editor, but want to stay in
Phtotoshop or Dreamweaver.

At that point we have decided to drop Cocoon because of this XSL/T problems,
I personaly thinks XSLT is really useful when you have no other choice to
use it (transform a document in an other) but not useful to create content
until Macromedia or someone else doesn't make an XSL editor for graphist.

- martin

-----Original Message-----
From: Sven Kuenzler [mailto:svenk@tzi.de]
Sent: mardi 27 février 2001 12:01
To: cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: [ot] XSLT pain in the *?

Hi,

recently, there were several posts stating that they, well, don't like XSLT
too much.

I personally do like this language, esp. for dealing with semi-structured
data like formated text.

However, I am neither a web artist nor a layouter, so it won't be my job to
write *style*sheets. That's why  I'd like to ask for options, article
references, ... pointing out the main difficulties that people may have
dealing with XSLT.

Thanks in advance,
    Sven.....