cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Pier P. Fumagalli" <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: [report] Classloading problems between Catalina and Cocoon
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2001 12:35:53 GMT
Nic Ferrier <nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk> wrote:

>> If someone can check out what JavaCC produces
>> as an output, then it wouldn't be "that" hard to come
>> up with a compiler, using InfoSeek's Trove Class File
>> API (Check out <http://opensource.go.com/Trove/index.html>
>> for more info on it). The big hurdle to go across is
>> definitely the parser...
>
> As I told Stef some time ago there is already a free Java compiler.
> It's called Kopi. You can get it from the kaffe project (and it's own
> website).
>
> Kopi works well enough, especially if you're compiling what you know
> to be syntactically correct code. It's GPLed but does that exclude you
> from using it?

It doesn't prevent anyone from using or modifying it, but it is impossible
to redistribute it together a BSD-like licensed application like Tomcat, and
that's what I'm concerned about.

If there was already a java compiler with a better license I would have
already patched it :) :) :)

Maybe we can talk to those guys and ask to change their license... Duncan?

    Pier

Pier P. Fumagalli                              <mailto:pier@betaversion.org>