cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ot] XSLT pain in the *?
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2001 13:37:41 GMT
Sven Kuenzler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> recently, there were several posts stating that they, well, don't like XSLT
> too much.

To be clarified it is mostly in the context of writing logicsheets.  XSP is
a cool technology, however trying to write an XSP LogicSheet is a pain in the
hind end because of the XSLT semantics.

XSLT is *EXCELLENT* for writing transformations on XML--but it sucks for trying
to produce a Text file (AKA a Java source file).  There are a number of ugly
things that you have to do, and it is hard to follow the logic of a Logicsheet
when written as XSL.

The reason?  You have two separate concerns meshed into one.  One concern is
the Java code, and how it will look when fully assembled.  The other concern
is the XSLT markup.  If you have ever tried to follow a Logicsheet like the
xsp.xsl, esql.xsl, or sitemap.xsl you will know first hand what I am talking
about.

That aside, XSLT for transforming XML into HTML or other markup based language
ROCKS.