cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C2] Problem with component pools.
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2001 18:30:00 GMT
Paul Russell wrote:

> * Berin Loritsch (bloritsch@apache.org) wrote :
> > Quick and easy one:
> > Simply use a different class.  In other words why not have a
> > PngSvgSerializer and a JpegSvgSerializer that wraps up the
> > configurations necessary for explicitly making it use the different
> > formats.  That is the _easy_ way.
>
> Yep. Not ideal though.
>
> > Another simple and easy method is a wrapper that lets the Pool "mark"
> > the client silently to the end user.  Although without moving to JDK
> > 1.3 and the Proxy interface, this would quickly become an unweildy
> > solution.
>
> Mm-hmm. What's the position on using 1.3 features in C2? Though it
> doesn't cause me any problems, JDK1.3 isn't available on all platforms,
> so this might not be feasible yet.

Last time it was discussed (late last year), the bottom line was don't
do it yet.  When JDK 1.3 is available on all platforms (or at least
BSD ones), then we can address it.

The other thing was don't force the upgrade until there is something
we _need_ in JDK 1.3.  That Trove package Pier pointed out requires
JDK 1.3 in parts--so if we used that, it would force an upgrade.