cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C2] Request For Vote: MultiPart Form Handling
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2001 14:53:05 GMT
Tagunov Anthony wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 08:57:25 -0500, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
> >Given that there were no objections, and a few enthusiastic
> >"that would be cool" responses..
>
> Sorry for posting this late and claiming i'm not a voter, still one
> opinion: do these changes allow to get just binary data,
> without storing anything to disk?
>
> In our projects we need to handle uploaded data exclusively
> ourselves, no standard package can do the uploading we need
> (eventually we store it to a DB, but first our processing should
> come)
>
> And storing to disk in our case i consider EXTREMELY HARMFULL--
> why store to files if it is possible to get raw data and handle it
> according to our preferrences.
>
> So, again -- is this going to be possible?

Not yet.  I agree that storing to disk is harmful, so I included
the functionality to delete the File handle I have been passed
from the Request object when I am done with it.  That makes it
ephemeral storage--however the best approach would be to keep it
in memory.

The issue is when you have several clients accessing the server
and uploading 512k files at the same time, you can bring the
server to its knees by keeping everything in memory.  Just something
to think about.  Although if you have unlimitted hardware budgets,
then memmory is definitely the way to go.