cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C2] Precompiled sites
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2001 20:18:14 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> >
> > Berin,
> >
> > How do i pre-compile a site? Can you post the procedure?
>
> Yeah, I'm curious as well.
>
> Also, I believe it would be a total win for Cocoon2 to be able to
> generate a 'fully precompiled' site. Not only compiled bytecode, but
> also compiled XML. It's pretty easy to come up with a SAX parser wrapper
> that understands if the XML is compiled or not. (just check for the
> first bytes to be "XMLC10", 'C' for 'compiled') this will reduce parsing
> time and improve performance.
>
> But gives us another big win: production sites are untouchable!!!
>
> In many situations, production sites are 'touched' and modified without
> back-porting the changes to the development trunk, this normally creates
> friction and overhead. By proposing a good practice of "build site" that
> generates the full 'war with precompiled everything' that can be
> deployed and forgotten.
>
> A great thing would be to precompile the sitemap as well.

All possible--but not fully implemented.  Sitemaps are created with
the ProgramGeneratorImpl class as well as the XSP files.  There is
no problem with compiling the sitemap ahead of time.  The
GeneratorSelector needs to see if the class exists in the repository,
and then load it if it can't be found through normal channels.  I
have code that looks like it should work, but I still can't find
out why it isn't loading the precompiled class...