cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C2] Regression in classpath generation
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2001 21:16:37 GMT
Robert Marcano wrote:

> Paul Russell wrote:
>
> > We changed the way classes are loaded in Cocoon by using a custom
> > classloader. I *thought* this was working these days. Are you using the
> > latest CVS? If it is broken, I should run into the same problem some
> > time this afternoon.
> >
> > The reason we're moving away from the classpath attribute is that we
> > don't actually know the attribute for all servlet engines, and it's not
> > portable. In theory, the new code should work across nearly all servlet
> > engines. Roll on SRV2.3.
> >
> > Paul.
>
> I´m using the latest cvs, but it doesn´t work with WebSphere 3.5. The
> problem is caused because a WAR file imported inside WebSphere, is
> broken in two directories
> "web" and "servlets", all the java code that resides inside
> WEB-INF/classes and WEB-INF/lib is moved to the "servlets" directory,
> the remaining files are installed inside the "web" directory, so the
> class CocoonServlet is not able to see the jar files to generate the
> classpath. I think that a solution to this is to use the
> classpath-attribute servlet parameter as an optional one. I temporally
> duplicated the jar files inside the web directory in order to continue
> development, but it can arise a security problem in WebSphere because
> files residing in the "web" directory are exposed to web downloads.

In WebSphere you need to use the ParanoidCocoonServlet anyway, so you
will have to recopy the WEB-INF/classes and WEB-INF/lib files back to
their propper location.  I have used this approach, as it is the _only_
way I can get resources out of the ClassLoaders using WebSphere.  Also,
WebSphere should be upgraded to Servlet 2.2 compliance with SP2.  Although
I have experienced some serious issues with it: namely the inability to
use sendRedirect() within Cocoon.

I have serious reservations about WebSphere anyways.  It's very frustrating
to use after fairly painless installs like Tomcat and Resin.