cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C2] Regression in classpath generation -- Someone take a look at this please
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2001 13:33:30 GMT
Robert Marcano wrote:

>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Subject: [C2] Regression in classpath generation
> Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 11:30:36 -0400
> From: Robert Marcano <robmv@promca.com>
> To: cocoon-dev <cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org>
>
> :-(
>
> Recently I send a patch for Cocoon2 that adds a new servlet parameter to
> specify the context attribute where the servlet engine store the web
> application classpath.
>
> Reading old code, i noticed that
> src/org/apache/cocoon/servlet/CocoonServlet 1.1.4.50 and
> webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml 1.1.2.12 added the same attribute (using the same
> name that i used - big conincidence) and this change was lost. Was this
> a decission to remove it or was a mistake?

It was removed.  Now, consider Servlet Engines like IBM WebSphere 3.5.2
(Any previous version is not guaranteed to work), that not only have
broken classloaders, they physically rearrange the webapp.  In those cases
(in order for compilation to work) you will have to recopy the jars into
the proper location again.

With the Servlet 2.2 spec and Servlet 2.3 spec, one would think that rearranging
the war file is not only too much manipulation, but that those contracts should
be guaranteed even if you place the jars somewhere else...

There is much I have grown to dislike about WebSphere.