cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: Quick point on xinclude syntax.
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:10:00 GMT
Paul Russell wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've just been checking up on the xinclude spec in the context of the
> ongoing discussions of content aggregation. The copy of the spec I can
> see is using the <xinclude:include href=".." parse=".."/> syntax, as
> opposed to the <my:element xinclude:href=".." xinclude:parse=".."/>
> Stefano mentioned. Am I right in thinking that the former is now the
> preferred syntax (again)? God I hate it when standards yoyo :/

Last time I checked, the XInclude syntax changed from elements to
attributes, following the xlink metaphor. And I believe this is a better
way of doing things since xinclusion is a behavioral property (like
link) not a structural one.

Did the proposal went back on elements? I'll checkit out myself, but in
that case, I'll propose to drop support for Xinclude alltogether and
implement our own namespace for that, also because there is a problem
with XInclude:

what happens if I *DON'T* want Cocoon to process my xinclude stuff?

XInclude is mostly designed (like almost anything from the xml-linking
group) for client side operation. What happens if mozilla starts
supporting xinclude on the client side? how do I send something from
Cocoon to mozilla escaping the xinclude stuff?

I believe that given the particular requirements of "server side
xinclude" (such as namespace expansion) and the fact that it's
cocoon-specific anyway and doesn't exit this realm, I propose to create
a server-side-xinclude namespace and let xinclude untouched as regular
content in our pipelines.

This serves two purposes:

1) we are free to innovate and do the right things without messing with
W3C politics
2) we are future-compatible with xinclude client-side support without
requiring W3C acknoledgment for server side processing (which is almost
impossible since they seem to believe serving is a natural property of
the web! go figure)

what do you think?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.