cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: classpath problems with cocoon2
Date Thu, 15 Feb 2001 23:12:08 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >
> > This is probably related with what Berin was talking about, but Cocoon2
> > doesn't work.
> >
> > Apart from a URLFactory bug which I just fixed, it seems that no matter
> > what I do I either end up having a "sealing" exception from Tomcat (if I
> > place everything into /WEB-INF/lib/) or compilation issues with the
> > sitemap (if I place everything into CATALINA_HOME/lib/)
> >
> > I noted one thing: Catalina doesn't add the libraries found in
> > CATALINA_HOST/lib/ in the classpath environment passed to the servlet
> > contexts.
> >
> > How does Jasper work, then?
> >
> > Berin, what servlet engine are you using?
>
> I am using Tomcat 3.2.1 (and <sheepishly>IBM WebSphere</sheepishly>).
> IBM WebSphere requires all the jars in CLASSPATH (yuck).  My next solution
> is to have a different ServletEngine depending on Servlet 2.2 or Servlet
> 2.3--Servlet 2.3 engine won't do classloader juggling while Servlet 2.2
> will.  That will satisfy both our concerns.
>
> I have not yet seen any clean way around the JAXP 1.1 vs. 1.0 issues.
> That is the one thing that is going to keep us from doing one complete
> jar.
>
> Temporary solution is to place Xerces in CATALINA_HOST/lib/ as well--
> breaking Jasper.

By 'unsealing' jaxp.jar and crimson.jar and adding 'servlet.jar' to the
context classpath attribute, Cocoon2 works perfectly out of a single jar
on Catalina.

I believe this is a pretty damn good result given the problems we face
and there are no side effects in these changes.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.