cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From philippe.lav...@cactus.ca
Subject RE: [ot] XSLT pain in the *?
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2001 16:28:37 GMT
It seems you have decided to sacrifice maintanability for creativity.

If your projects are short lived and your developpers don't mind changin all
the println lines when the client changes is mind about the look and feel of
the application. Then sticking to servlets is fine.

In our team we found that expressing the content in the .xml, the display
logic in the .xsp, the application logic in normal .classes, the display
style sheet in .xsl and making sure that there is a .dtd for the .xml allows
a team of developpers to work with a lot of concurency and a lot of re-use
(especially for the look&feel part).

It especially pays off when you work with junior programmers, they grasp
more easilly xml + xsp then good object oriented code (especially when it's
not documented). We are gladly moving away from servlets and our client
loves it since the cosmetic changes (about 90% of changes between each
release) is now faster, easier to deploy and has less bugs (Netscape vs IE
issues especially).

Phil

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Rogard [mailto:martin@vibes.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2001 6:39 AM
To: cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: RE: [ot] XSLT pain in the *?

Hi,

XSLT is very powerful but in real world production the problem I faced is no
one want to write stylesheets:
- Developers says this is too restrictive, not a real langage and say it's
not their job.
Sometimes they agree to write an XSP Logicsheet but they are now really
angry about writing *a lot* of text (<,>) instead of just writing beautiful
OO Servlets (yup i know they don't have exactly the same role but..).
- Graphists says they don't want to open an editor, but want to stay in
Phtotoshop or Dreamweaver.

At that point we have decided to drop Cocoon because of this XSL/T problems,
I personaly thinks XSLT is really useful when you have no other choice to
use it (transform a document in an other) but not useful to create content
until Macromedia or someone else doesn't make an XSL editor for graphist.

-martin