cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Man <>
Subject Re: [C2] xsp proposal
Date Wed, 28 Feb 2001 16:44:08 GMT
On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 09:38:20PM +0100, Giacomo Pati wrote:
> Martin Man wrote:
> <snip/>
> > action parameter names
> > ======================
> > also from what I know about actions from cvs, the sitemap construction
> > {parameter_name}, where this parameter_name is hardcoded in the action's
> > source code doesn't make the sitemap very readable (and intuitive) maybe
> > some way on how to specify the parameter names to set directly from sitemap
> > (I see that it's almost impossible for actions that are setting more
> > parameters but anyway) :-))
> I haven't got the point you are telling us. Could you explain it with some
> examples?
first I'm sorry for my english :-))

I wanted to tell that (as I understand the concept of actions) the parameters
an action is propagating to the sitemap are hardcoded in a action's source
code... and therefore it seems to me not very comprehensive from where the
parameter is coming to the sitemap (e.g, from which action exactly)

for example, if there is

<map:match patern="xxx/*">

I know that {1} matches the star in pattern attribute, but if there is

<map:act type="lang_select">

then parameter {lang} is being set by this action, o.k. ??

what I propose is the possibility to declare the "lang" name also from the
sitemap, not like now when it's hardcoded in a java sourcecode,

<map:act type="lang_select" set="xxx">

so that I can use xxx defined by me as a sitemap developer..

maybe even beter to declare these parameter names in
<map:action name=".." src="...">
  <propagate-parameter name="lang" as="my_language"/>

than I would be able to rename parameter names without affecting source code

first point I can see is name conflict, what if I will write an action that
would propagate parameter with the same name as any other action provided by
third party person ???

hope it's clear now :-)))

> Giacomo

"Only dead fish swims with a stream"
gpg_key_fingerprint: 2CC0 4AF6 92DA 5CBF 5F09  7BCB 6202 7024 6E06 0223

View raw message