cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <p...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject Re: AW: log performance penalties
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2001 17:01:19 GMT
* Carsten Ziegeler (cziegeler@sundn.de) wrote :
> I would suggest we start converting/implementing the logging in the way Stefano suggested.
> Either by
> 1. if (logger.debugIsActive()) logger.debug(...)

+1

> 2. if (LOG && logger.debugIsActive()) logger.debug(...)

-1, because it over-complicates things, and I don't _really_ think it's
necessary. I assume logger.debugIsActive() is a fairly light weight
call, so we wouldn't be gaining too much.

> with if (Cocoon.LOG && logger.debugIsActive()) the same effective? Then I could
imagine to use 2.

-0. Again, I'm not really sure we need it.

I think we also need remember that it's not a sin to _remove_ debug
events once code starts to stabalise -- it's a natural part of
refactoring.

Speaking of refactoring, anyone know what the end result of the unit
testing discussions?

Paul.