cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <p...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject Re: [c2] Cocoon XInclude
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:17:10 GMT
* Jeremy Quinn (jeremy@media.demon.co.uk) wrote :
> At 2:19 PM +0100 20/2/01, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >I propose to use 'attributes' since they preserve the semantic
> >information of the placeholder, unlike 'elements' which indicate only
> >the inclusion semantic information.
> +1 on using attributes

+1 here too.

> >4) if the URI contains an XPointer, the returned content is the result
> >of the XPointer query to the generated resource.
> >
> >For example
> >
> > <page xmlns:include="http://apache.org/cocoon/include/1.0">
> >  <content include:uri="content#xpointer(book/chapter[3])"/>
> > <page>
> >
> >will include the 3-rd chapter of the generated book.
> >
> >[is this really useful/desirable?]
> Yes, +1
> Though I tend to agree with Donald, that the xpath should be in it's own
> attribute.

+1, but I'm not sure about having a separate attribute for the xpath. If
there's a spec for something, shouldn't we use it, rather than
reinventing the wheel?

> I do not understand your logic here, if we are going to use attributes to
> trigger the include mechanism, why are we throwing away the the container
> tag, when this would be useful during XSLT processing to identify included
> content according to your own DTD, without having to resort to namespaces.

But you could achieve this by simple wrapping the include element in
another tag. If it replaces the tag, it's more flexible.

P.