cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <p...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject Re: AW: [RT] sharing latest research production (long!)]
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2001 14:42:44 GMT
* Carsten Ziegeler (cziegeler@sundn.de) wrote :
> > <long snip>
> > ..
> > Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > > Giacomo Pati wrote
> > > This assumption might be acceptable for an XSLT transformer but almost
> > every
> > > other specialized transformer can and will change over time
> > (I18nTransformer,
> > > SQLTransformer).
> >
> > Yes, this is why I suggest to place all these 'specialized'
> > transformation capabilities at generation time.
> >
> Do you mean, not to have those transformers and instead have some corresponding generators?
> But that would reduce the transformation stage of the pipeline to pure stylesheet transformation.

Not *all* translaters. I think stefano means to avoid situations where
the transformation acts on commands contained within the content stream
to retrieve content from elsewhere without using xinclude. I must admit,
bits of this are slightly over my head -- I'm not entirely sure what
Stefano means by atomic in this context, for example. Stefano, am I
understanding you right?

> And this in turn would reduce the flexibility of the pipeline:
> How could I then generate a pipeline which uses more than one (former) transformer,
> e.g. the SQLTransformer and the I18nTransformer? This would leed to a huge mess of generators
> for all possible combinations.

Why would you use the SQL transformer? It's now fairly well deprecated
in favour of the ESQL logicsheet. I'm not sure about the i18n
transformer, because I've not looked at it in detail, but it may well be
that we can create a logicsheet for that, too.

P.