cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Normalizing xsp uri namespaces
Date Thu, 15 Feb 2001 13:16:12 GMT
Matt Sergeant wrote:
> Hey what's with stripping xsp-dev from the cc list?

Sorry, used the wrong mailer command to answer.

> > > I would suggest the use of two numbers 'dot notation' for versioning
> > > [major.minor] where major is incremented when the taglib is *NOT* back
> > > compatible, while minor is incremented if something is added or
> > > deprecated, but back compatibility is maintained.
> >
> > My preference too, so we are at 2 votes for 2) and one for 1)
>
> Only consider mine half a vote - I'm so laid back about this I'm
> horizontal.
>
> > > In the future, we might want to centralize the distribution of XSP
> > > taglibs from the above URI, then I suggest we place a sort of "taglib
> > > description file" that indicates where the XSP engine can find the
> > > appropriate taglib implementation for the required programming
> > > language, but this has nothing to do with embedding either the
> > > programming language or the XSP engine name (Cocoon or AxKit) in the
> > > taglib URI.
> >
> > Yes, kind a automated CPAN for taglibs. I feel sorry nobody investigated
> > into the simple logicsheet language (SILLY) where things like this coud
> > be addressed. Also because a SILLY stylesheet will be programming
> > language neutral to be ported along different implenetations of XSP.
>
> But you're forgetting that our XSP implementation works completely
> differently to yours. While I think SILLY may work for Cocoon, I don't
> think it will work for AxKit. Sorry.

Well, to be honest, I have no clue how AxKit logicsheets are written. But as
the syntax for XSP is normated why could AxKit not profit from a
preprocessing of a "raw" logicsheet? Don't you use XSLT to apply a logicsheet
to an XSP page? So why couldn't you apply a stylesheet to the logicsheet
first befor using that to apply to the XSP page. SILLY would eliminate some
burden of off logicsheet writer which need to take care of some "convention"
for their logicsheets as there are the utility templates to copy everything
else over to the next stage or to extract parameter values out of the
different writing possibilities XSP offers. Automated taglib documentation
generation could be taken into consideration which is not possible (or only
limited) with todays logicsheets.

Giacomo