cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Petr Jiricka" <petr.jiri...@czech.sun.com>
Subject Re: [report] Classloading problems between Catalina and Cocoon
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2001 15:38:40 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pier@betaversion.org>
To: "James Duncan Davidson" <duncan@x180.net>; <jsr63@topica.com>
Cc: "Cocoon" <cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org>; "Tomcat"
<tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>; "James Davidson"
<james.davidson@eng.sun.com>; "Servlet API Experts"
<jsr-053-experts@eng.sun.com>; "JAXP Expert Group" <jsr63@x180.com>
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2001 4:17 AM
Subject: Re: [report] Classloading problems between Catalina and Cocoon

> James Duncan Davidson <duncan@x180.net> wrote:
> > on 2/22/01 8:40 AM, Tom Reilly at treilly@allaire.com wrote:
> >
> >> That said, I think javac is never going to be this compiler, at least
> >> not any time soon.  They just re-wrote it and I doubt they'll do it
> >> again.  A more mobile open source project like KJC is probably more
> >> realistic.
> >
> > There was very high interest at the time that this was percolating
around,
> > but if Bill M. has now left, well... Then its a staffing concern. Rgh.
I'm
> > still digging, so...
>
> A compiler relying on a ClassLoader instead of single .class files is
> definitely required, not only in Servlet world, but also in the IDE space.
> I heard that Forte was having issues with the current JavaC too, we might
> want to check with them what were their requirements (and if I'm not
wrong,
> they were exactly the same as ours!)

(Replying late, as I am behind in my e-mail.)

Yes, we (Forte/NetBeans) are having very similar problems as Cocoon and JSP.
What we did is we patched Javac to allow loading java files from other
sources than java.io.File, and did some other changes, too. We are
distributing the patched version with the IDE (see file
/modules/ext/javac.jar in the IDE distribution). We tried to submit the
changes back to the Javac team (Bill M., I heard), but weren't successful.
So maybe we could try again now ? It looks like there is enough interest in
the community.

Do you know who we should contact now ?

Petr

<mailto:pier@betaversion.org>