cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Tagunov Anthony" <atagu...@nnt.ru>
Subject [C2][feature request][Datasource components] get-by-name + no-pooling
Date Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:33:09 GMT
Hello all!
Hello Berin! (I was directed to you to ask this question :-)

ASFAIK in C1 database connection pooling gave two features in one
bottle:

retriving connection properties by name (short, nice, usefull name - great!)
connection pooling

AFAIK similar facilities are being (have been) developed for C2.

Do you think it's reasonable for us to have

retriving connection properties by name without connection pooling?
The reasons I want this are the following:

- our dbms is unreliable and I feel much more comfortable to reopen the connection every time
- caching suits our needs fine and we are not bothered with extra time for reconnecting
- last but most important: WE ARE LIMIITED ON DATABASE LICENSES. And we're running approx
6 to 8
instances of Cocoon+Tomcat a time (to make our sites completely independent, and prevent problems
in
one of them to spread onto others.) So we simply can not afford having our PRECIOUS database
licences be eat up just by being pooled on all of these 8 instances.

AFAI Understand, if this feature would be (is) supported by datasource components,
it might find it's way into esql.xsl

Best regards,
 Tagunov Anthony