cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: URL Protocols
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2001 20:59:17 GMT
On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Paul Russell wrote:
> >
> > * Berin Loritsch (bloritsch@apache.org) wrote :
> > > I want to run something by the list regarding the way
> > > Cocoon uses URLs to get references to files and such.
> > > This _does_ affect both versions, and it refers to the
> > > naming of the protocols.  The way Servlet 2.2+ specifies
> > > to get files from the WAR file is the context.getResource()
> > > method.  All resources are relative to the context root.
> > > This is separate and distinct from Classloader Resources.
> > > My proposal is to specify the following Resource protocols:
> > > "resource:" This gets a ClassLoader resource, loaded by
> > >             the Cocoon ClassLoader.  This is what it already
> > >             does.
> > > "context:"  This gets a Context resource, pulled by the
> > >             Context.getResource() method.
> >
> > Yep. Works for me. +1. How do you propose implementing this? Using the
> > standard URI api I assume?
>
> That would be the long term plan.  The alternative would be to do
> what is already done in the NetUtils class.  Anyone have experience
> creating URL Handlers?

i'm +1 as well, but warning - there's a serious problem with the URL
handler implementation in the JDK. i can't remember the exact details, but
maybe stefano will - it had something to do with problems arising if
another package in the same JVM tried to register any URL handlers.

> Ability to use the loaded ClassPath (no more parsing of the classpath
> attributes), ability to use streams (java input stream, and class
> output stream).
>
> That way we won't need the repository at all (except for debugging
> purposes)--as we can directly serialize the XSP java stream into
> the compiler and directly load the class by stream into the
> classloader.

oooh. sexy.

- donald