cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@sundn.de>
Subject AW: [C2]: Proposal for caching
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:22:31 GMT
> Philippe Lavoie wrote
>
> May I suggest the following:
> 	- create 4 scenarios of usage of the sitemap.
> 		1) static pages
> 	 	2) Portal style page
> 	      3) Login page (gives access right, etc.)
> 		4) Once Logged in, add data to database based on user role
>

> Play around with how you can do some customization based on the user's
> preferences (especially for a portal type site).

Yes, great idea! This might help. So here is my example for 1)

<map:generate type="file" src="hallo.xml"/>
<map:transform src="hallo.xsl"/>
<map:serialize type="html"/>

This is a very easy example for a static page. Now the whole responds can be cached.
When is the cache invalid?
1. If hallo.xml changes
2. If hallo.xsl changes

Speaking of the validators again, both would use a simple FileChangedValidator which
checks the last modification date of the files.
So the generator would need to test its source, the xml file and the transformer
would need to test its source, the xsl file.
Only if both havent changed, the cache is valid, otherwise the whole response is
generated new and then cached.

Can someone elaborate on the others?

> Some caching is better then none anyway :)

Yes, you say it!

Carsten