cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@sundn.de>
Subject [C2]: Proposal for caching
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:21:02 GMT
Hi,

as I and some others  are willing to implement a caching mechanism for C2
I would like to force the implementation of it by starting a proposal.
If we have finished the proposal, it could be implemented and then
we have a solution which could be prooved.

I reread all (or nearly) all of the mails regarding caching, most of them
were send in December. The comments, thoughs and proposals contained in the
mails lead me to this proposal, which is more or less a summary of what was
discussed then (I hope so at least)....

OK, lets start:

1. Caching should not take place after each stage in the pipeline.
2. The most static part of the pipeline should be cached.
3. The logic for caching is either in the ResourcePipeline or "above"
4. If a component is cacheable it should implement an interface Cacheable.
5. Caching is done until the first component in the pipeline is not Cacheable.
6. Identifying if the cache contains the response (or the most static part
   of it) can be done by a unique key. The Cacheable interface implements
   a getKey() method. The keys of all Cacheable components are chained together
   and build the unique key for the cache.
7. Cacheable also delivers a Validator object (getValidator()) which contains all
   information required for this component to test if the content has changed
   since the last caching.
   The FileGenerator e.g. puts the last modification date into the Validator.
   The Cache stores all Validators together with the unique key.
8. All Cacheable components are now asked hasChanged(Validator). If all
   respond with false, the cache value is valid and is used.
   If the first responds with true, a new response is generated, the validators
   are get and the result is put in the cache.

This approach is very flexible. Each component nows if it is cacheable and when
it is invalid. Using the Validator object it is possible to specify something
like: This component is really 6 hours valid wether it changes or not.