cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Torsten Curdt" <>
Subject RE: [C2] Proposal for cocoon.xconf--Hiding Complexity
Date Sun, 14 Jan 2001 14:25:25 GMT

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Berin Loritsch []
  Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2001 3:16 PM
  Subject: [C2] Proposal for cocoon.xconf--Hiding Complexity

  I would like to make a change to the way cocoon.xconf defines the
components (but maintain
  backwards compatibility).  Right now, we have two methods for specifying
Components in the
  ComponentManager heirarchy:

  <component role=""
    <component-instance name="AnyName" class=""/>

  This is really a mouthful, and has some complexity involved for the
administrator's eyes.
  I would like to add something to org.apache.cocoon.Roles to make it easier
for everyone
  involved--yet not break the Avalon pattern regarding how the Roles are

  Basically, I would use a read-only HashMap to convert a shorthand Role
name to convert
  it to the internal Role.  The components would be defined in this manner:

  <component role="shorthand-name" class="">
    <component-instance name="AnyName" class=""/>

  This could be shortened even more in this manner:

  <shorthand-name class="">
    <component-instance name="AnyName" class=""/>

  The Cocoon ComponentManager can easily make the translations with a couple
  extra lines used to lookup the real Role based on the shorthand name.
Please note,
  that we still have the old method of specifying components available to
  We have a default CocoonComponentSelector, but by creating more specific
  Selectors, we can even make the <component-instance> a shorthand:

  For DataSourceComponents, you have only one of two Components to choose
  from: JdbcDataSource and J2eeDataSource.  If the ComponentSelector knew
  it could offer the following syntax:

  <datasources class="">
    <jdbc-datasource name="AnyName"/>
    <j2ee-datasource name="AnyOtherName"/>