cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Clover, James C. -ND" <James.C.Clover....@disney.com>
Subject [C2] Want to use C2; need some ammo
Date Wed, 24 Jan 2001 01:34:50 GMT
Hi all,

My project is about to start developing the web interface to our batch
system, and I'd like to use Cocoon to do it.  I'd _really_ like to use C2,
officially for the improved architecture and unoffically for the coolness ;)

I'm about to try and convince my bosses that this would be a good idea, and
so I need some ammo to take into that conversation.  If there's a C2 FAQ or
some other documentation please direct me towards it:

1.  What's the status of C2?  What can it do, right now?  I've seen people
talk about their "real-world use" of C2, so I assume it's up and running.
I've also seen that the first beta of C2 is planned first quarter 2001,
which works well for me as we're scheduled to be done in June (this is a
relatively small internal project, so it doesn't have to be super-stable and
scalable, although both would be nice :).
2. What kind of security will be in C2? The web app we are building is
basically an inquire-and-edit-data app, and we have some pretty detailed
security requirements -- possibly limiting data, links, and the like based
upon the user's security level.
3. Will C2 be easier to use than C1?  The sitemap seems like a definite
place for simplification, at least of pages with lots of transformations.
Some of my developers have never built a web application before, nor used
XML.  But again, they've never built a JSP before either, and that's my
other choice.
4. Will C2 be faster than C1?  I'd imagine so, at least due to all the
caching discussion going on.
5. Will C2 make splitting various tasks between developers easier?  With
aggregation I could see giving various developers various parts of the pages
to develop independently.

My fervent hope is that we decide to use C2, and as a consequence of that, I
will be able to do neat stuff for C2.  However, my hope of doing neat stuff
still won't allow me to use it if it's not ready.  Heck, I may even decide
to just JSP the whole thing, but I haven't made up my mind yet.

James