cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From wbaye...@closerlook.com
Subject Re: Cache issues (This e-mail was scanned and found to be virus -free)
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2001 19:01:28 GMT
>wbayever@closerlook.com wrote:
>>I posted the message listed below to cocoon-dev and got no response.
>
>I missed that. Probably I was on holiday. Still, it's better to post to
>cocoon-dev again so we can all look at it.
>
>(This is actually a very important issue for caching in Cocoon 2 - it's
been
>mentioned once before but maybe forgotten!)
>
>>Please let me know if req.getRequestURI() and req.getQueryString() are
used
>>for a reason; or if you believe that my fix is legit.
>
>The reason is we simply did not anticipate this use of Cocoon within JSP.
>Most users now use Cocoon with XSP for dynamic content.
>
>>Also, I am concerned about cacheing in Cocoon 1.8.1.  Since the HTTP
>>headers are now included in the "cache string", I noticed that (at least
on
>>my set up) there is a JSESSIONID cookie being sent by the browser.
>
>That indicates you're using sessions.

I didn't setup/use a session on consciously, it must be a default
somewhere.

>>Here is
>>the string:
>>
>>+++++++++
>>Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT
>>5.0):GET:http://localhost:8080/Cocoon/Events.xml?2001&headers:Accept=imag
e/
>>gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg,
>>application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/vnd.ms-excel,
>>application/msword, application/x-comet, application/pdf,
>>*/*Accept-Language=en-usAccept-Encoding=gzip,
deflateUser-Agent=Mozilla/4.0
>>(compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT
>>5.0)Host=localhost:8080Connection=Keep-AliveCookie=JSESSIONID=d0AmVhThQMV
w8
>>CKYwB
>>+++++++++
>>
>>If this is true, every user which hits a given page will require the page
>>to be regenerated.  I know that the fix was made to enable cookies and
HTTP
>>headers as parameters in XSL.  But, doesn't it defeat the purpose of a
>>cache if no user can reuse a page generated for another user?
>
>Yes, which is why I have implemented a header exclusion policy on the copy
>of Cocoon on my machine. However, I'm not convinced that the COOKIE header
>should be excluded. Think about it - if you are using sessions, you should
>be using them for a reason, and you probably don't want Jim's personal
info
>to be served up to Joe.

I agree that if you are using the cookies for storage of personal info, the
pages should not be cached.  However, in my case, and I am assuming that it
is true in a lot of cases, there are many pages which do not use the cookie
or header information and, still, they will be regenerated for each user.