cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Raphaël Luta <raphael.l...@networks.groupvu.com>
Subject Re: [C2] The whole picture
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:34:19 GMT
Conny Krappatsch wrote:

> The reason why I ask at that time is the ongoin content aggregation
> discussion. I'm not very familar with Jetspeed but wasn't it meant to do
> content aggregation? And if Cocoon has it's own aggregation mechanism,
> what could Jetspeed be used for (in conjunction with Cocoon)?
>
> But my question is much more general, than "What will we do with
> Jetspeed". It's very difficult for me to see, how far the functionalities
> of Cocoon will be extended (any german speakers that know the english
> equivalent to "eierlegende Wollmilchsau").

The issue Jetspeed aims to solve is user customizable aggregation.
I'd advise you to look at the new layout proposal I sent to the Jetspeed
list sunday to see where the project is going.

My objective is to make Jetspeed work as an extension to the basic
aggregation capabilities of the framework it builds upon (currently
Turbine, but a Cocoon 2 implementation will exist) in order to provide
user customizability for some parts of the site where the administrator
allows it.

Jetspeed over Cocoon 2 would manifest itself by adding a new set of configuration
files (or config elements) to an existing Cocoon 2 sites:
- a list of components available for customization
- sitemap references to jetspeed managed parts (for example through an internal
  jetspeed:... provider URL (if Cocoon chooses internal URLs for locating
  aggregated resources)
- the user preference files

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael.luta@networks.groupvu.com
Vivendi Universal Networks - Services Manager / Paris