cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Content Aggregation-another spin (long)
Date Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:38:16 GMT
Stuart Roebuck wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 24, 2001, at 01:32 PM, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
> > Now we have a couple of issues, the recursiveness of the sitemap
> > (generators calling the sitemap to get results) and the visibility
> > of the parts of the document--no way of hiding the portions.
> > That might be resolvable with the use of resources.  That is assuming
> > that the end result will always be HTML, or easily merged in it's
> > final state.
>
> When you say "the end result will always be HTML" you really meant "XML" - yes?
>
> I really should look up resources and find out what they are, but from what is being
said, am I right in saying that resources can result in non XML output?  If this is the case
then feeding a resource into an aggregation (or anywhere else for that matter) would require
a redundant serialisation and deserialisation.  I'm not offering a solution here, just raising
an issue!

Thanks for raising that issue.  Basically, it would help if we new for certain
whether the resources are "serialized" versions of a resource, or simply a source
for XML inclusion.  Personally for Aggregation to work smoothly, that is what
we need.  A way to specify a non-serialized source to include into the document.
The source needs to be able to have undergone it's own processing (XSP, transformation
into an intermediate result, etc) and include those results.