cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: AW: Status of XMLCompiler - Please vote...
Date Wed, 17 Jan 2001 14:01:31 GMT

Paul Russell a écrit :

> * Carsten Ziegeler (cziegeler@sundn.de) wrote :
> > Integrating the XMLCompiler doesn't hurt at all as no existing
> > component is affect, no interface has to change - simply nothing,
> > just adding classes.
>
> Yeah, that's fine, but a very strong -1 for just adding classes
> because they 'might be useful'. If the cache needs them, then
> that's fine, if something else *core* needs them, then that's fine,
> but Cocoon2 is already 23,000 lines of code, let's not make it bigger
> than it has to be. For those familiar with XP, You Ain't Gonna Need it.
> For those who aren't <URL:http://www.extremeprogramming.org/> is *well*
> worth a read, it might just change the way you work.

I agree with you not to add unused stuff in the code base. However, we
may be facing a kind of chicken and egg problem : XMLCompiler will be
added when core components use it, but will core component use it if
it's not in the code base ?

XMLCompiler is an innovative idea (like many Stephano's idea) and people
may even not think of using it if it's not there. Also, C2 is still
unreleased. So why not integrate XMLC and remove it at release-time if
has been proven to be useless ?

BTW, if Ozone and DBPrism use XMLC, it could be better as part of Xerces
than Cocoon, even if it has no direct dependencies on Xerces.

--
Sylvain Wallez
Anyware Technologies