cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SVG-XML basic Qn
Date Fri, 12 Jan 2001 13:46:22 GMT
bhat prashanth wrote:

> hi all,
>

> I am using cocoon 1.8 on apache and windows NT/linux. I am using servletExec
>
> 2.2 from atlanta as servlet engine and also tomcat3.2.
>
>  I am unable to get the sample svgfile working. In IE 5.0 it just displays the
>
> plain text and Netscape doesn't even do that ?. Please give feedback to get
>
> the sample svg-file to work.

I am only aware of Cocoon 2 being able to directly render a SVG file to PNG/JPEG.
You can always serialize it to a web page, and make the client install Adobe's
SVG Plugin, though...

> 2)
>
> Is it possible to convert a svg file to a xml(ie .. seperate the data from the
>
> graphics (maybe the data is to be used for manipulation (as xml)
>
> and the links to the graphics as xsl??)
>
> reply at the earliest. it is critical..

A svg file IS xml.  If you want to convert it into a specific schema of xml, then
you have your work cut out for you.  It is much easier to convert a schema of xml
to svg than the other way around.  The problem stems from how the image is represented.
You may see the words "COCOON RULES", but it could be done with polygons instead of
text.  Different image editors serialize the data in different manners.

> Anything on VML(Vector Markup Language)?

Not that I know of, but why use VML when SVG overlaps it so much?  SVG has the
advantage of being a w3c standard.