cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C2] DataSourcese Proposal (first draft)
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2001 22:09:12 GMT
Giacomo Pati wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>

>> Giacomo Pati wrote:

The J2EE Container DataSource Component has been written and
committed.

>> Kool Beans!  Please note, you can still use the archaic
>
>> methodology of specifying the connection parameters and
>
>> creating a new Connection object for EACH request.  Or
>
>> you can use the high powered pooled DataSources and keep
>
>> the configurations for the entire site in one location!
>

> Yes, I've noticed this and used it already for a little eShop. Using a
>
> pool of connections is the way to go for my. It dosn't make any sense
>
> and in fact it can be very costly to open a connection for EVERY
>
> request. Oracle for exaple is one of those DBs that opening a connection
>
> is a performance nightmare.

Question: Should we make the DataSourceComponent the only method
for obtaining a java.sql.Connection object?  It is definitely
encouraged.

>> As a side note, I found that the SQLTransformer sample
>
>> in CVS used and closed no fewer than 11 connections--
>
>> no wonder it's performance lagged behind esql logicsheet!
>
>> Can the maintainer of the SQLTransformer work on getting
>
>> that down to one per connection actually needed?
>
> Well that piece is way old. It was a test example from Donald Ball and I
>
> have fixed it to make it work but this was in spring last year :/

In that case, is this something we should remove?  It seems somewhat
redundant.

Also, I implemented the AddEmployeeAction code.