cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Status of XMLCompiler
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2001 06:52:08 GMT
Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> FYI, Here's the link to the "XML Compilation" Thread started by Stefano.
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=97178196000002&w=2&r=1
>
> Questions:
> 1. Shouldn't we be Caching the output of the Serializer and not the intermediate SAX
events
> themselves? (For example the SVG Serializer takes more time to process the request than
the
> Generator's or Transformers in the Chain)

This could be an approach but I'd like to leave that to a proxy between
C2 and the requesting user.

> 2. Should we place the burden of deciding (whether the result of a request should come
from the
> Cache or generated again from scratch) on the Generator? (This was the case with C1 right?)

Not only. I'll see that at probably any place in the pipeline. Every
Generator/Transformer should be able to tell the sitemap engine wether
it 's output (SAX Events) should/could be cached (i.e Interface
Cachable) and how a reproduction should take place (modifiedSince).

What do you think? There has been a great discussion in december about
this (AFAIR the subject was XSPGenerator)

Giacomo