cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject [FYI] TREX rulez!
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2001 18:45:42 GMT
People,

in case you missed it, point your browsers to

  http://www.thaiopensource.com/trex/

where the brilliant mind of James Clark (yes, *that* James Clark) gave
us XML lovers and overcomplexity haters a beautiful alternative to
XMLSchema.

TREX is simple, straightforward, elegant, fully namespace-aware,
designed with inheritance in mind, and is not a superset of existing
technologies but rather a well-deserved cleanup and
refactorization-to-a-minimum of the concepts behind validation and tree
patter matching.

I have been seriously concerned by XMLSchema covering too much ground
and becoming so complex that very few people understand it, go figure
using it.

TREX brings sanity back into the picture and gives us XML-namespace
heavy users a bridge to the wonderful and safe world of validable
multidimensional XML content.

This is a happy day for the XML world.

Thanks James, you rock.

P.S.: this email reflects my opinions as an XML developer only, all my
hats removed.

P.S. (2): what do you guys feel about Xerces support for TREX? shouldn't
be hard to incorporate James' implementation into the Xerces machinery
given that it's based on SAX2 and the license is very open. Comments?

P.S. (3): I'm still in 'idle-mode' so I'm not subscribed to these mail
lists. Please, if you reply to this thread, keep me on the CC list.
Thanks.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.