cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal Migrating DataSourceComponent to Avalon
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2001 00:56:21 GMT
At 04:12  17/1/01 -0500, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>I have been thinking, that the DataSourceComponent I developed
>for Cocoon 2 is general enough to include in Avalon.  For Cocoon,
>it only means a package change--for Avalon it means that it now
>has a standardized method of accessing DataSources.
>
>I think it can be a win-win situation in the long run as projects
>like my DataXfer project (which I am determined to resurrect :P),
>EAS (a new open source Enterprise Application Server project), JAMES,
>and others adopt and use it.  The pooling code will be made more
>robust as it will be used by a much wider audience, and possibly
>more flexible.  (how about performing SQL queries on a delimited
>text file or XML files?).  The possibilities stagger the imagination.
>
>Of course I could be blowing wind...
>
>I am posting this message two both lists as it affects both
>projects if I get sufficient +1s from both camps.

Well I just looked at it and I like. There is one issue I can think of
though. Namely there is nothing inside Avalon that directly *uses* the
code. Consequently it may be possible to accidentally break it in Avalon
without realizing. I guess there are two solutions really - you could write
a Unit test for it ;) (yay!) or we could create yet another test block that
uses it and run it through a functional test. Even if neither of those
things happen I am still +1 on the idea ;)

Cheers,

Pete