cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marcelo Ochoa <moc...@ieee.org>
Subject Re: AW: [C2]: Proposal for caching
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2001 18:30:56 GMT

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mensaje original
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

El 25/1/01, 12.22.31, "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziegeler@sundn.de> escribió
sobre el tema AW: [C2]: Proposal for caching:

> > Philippe Lavoie wrote
> >
> > May I suggest the following:
> >     - create 4 scenarios of usage of the sitemap.
> >             1) static pages
> >             2) Portal style page
> >           3) Login page (gives access right, etc.)
> >             4) Once Logged in, add data to database based on user role
> >

> > Play around with how you can do some customization based on the user's
> > preferences (especially for a portal type site).
> >
> Yes, great idea! This might help. So here is my example for 1)

> <map:generate type="file" src="hallo.xml"/>
> <map:transform src="hallo.xsl"/>
> <map:serialize type="html"/>

> This is a very easy example for a static page. Now the whole responds can
be cached.
> When is the cache invalid?
> 1. If hallo.xml changes
> 2. If hallo.xsl changes

> Speaking of the validators again, both would use a simple
FileChangedValidator which
> checks the last modification date of the files.
> So the generator would need to test its source, the xml file and the
transformer
> would need to test its source, the xsl file.
> Only if both havent changed, the cache is valid, otherwise the whole
response is
> generated new and then cached.

> Can someone elaborate on the others?

> > Some caching is better then none anyway :)
> >
> Yes, you say it!

> Carsten

I am evaluating how to insert a reverse proxy in front off Cocoon like
Oracle Web Cache
(http://technet.oracle.com/docs/products/ias/doc_library/ias102/cache.10
2/a86722/intro.htm), but I need to investigate more how to.
This reverse proxy unlike other proxy (for example squid) has different
configurations for caching dynamics page. These configurations permits
for example to define pages which uses cookies as dynamic information, or
session information, etc.
The idea of reverse proxy do not require several changes into cocoon
system, and probably could be implement directly into the servlet 2.3 API
of Tomcat and solve several problems as showed above.
Best regards, Marcelo.