cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <p...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject Re: [C2][Important] Content aggregation again. Resolution needed.
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:34:52 GMT
* Giacomo Pati (giacomo@apache.org) wrote :
> Stuart Roebuck wrote:
> >      <map:match pattern="result2.xml">
> >                 <map:generate type="resource" src="myResource" />
> >                 <map:translate src="stylesheetY.xslt" />
> >         <map:serialize type="xml" />
> >      </map:match>
>
> No, this is not the way to use resources. Resources are final resources
> you can use them as is but you cannot process them further on. It was
> never meant to.

Troubles is, this is exactly what we're talking about doing if we use
resources as components in an aggregation, which seems to be what people
are suggesting they want. I can accept that maybe we don't let you refer
to non-serialized resources elsewhere in the sitemap, but we will be
permitting further manipulation after the aggregation happens. To me,
being able to perform further manipulation of a non-serialized pipelines
sounds like 'fair use', and at times appears to make the sitemap
clearer. I'm not suggesting we aim to implement this immediately, but it
may be worth considering going forward, since it seems I'm going to end
up implementing a fair bit of it anyway.

Paul.