cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <p...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject Re: idle thoughts in caching in c2
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2001 23:58:23 GMT
* Giacomo Pati (giacomo@apache.org) wrote :
> Paul Russell wrote:
> > * Sergio Carvalho (scarvalho@criticalsoftware.com) wrote :
> > > Yes. A Cache interface could be defined, so that classes implementing
> > > caching are identified. Then, these are placed in the pipeline,
> > > between each data-producer (or processor) and the subsequent
> > > data-consumer.
> > That makes sense.
> Are you sure? Is a sitemap maintainer skilled to specify where to cache
> intermediate pipeline results? I doubt.

If a sitemap manager isn't, who is? The sitemap managers' job is very
definately a skilled position.

I am more than happy that the sitemap should decide on caching policies
when we can either:
 * get to the point that either we can write sensible heuristics
   for this;
 * write sensible learning algorithms to let the system decide on
   the parameters for caching.

However, I think we should give sitemap managers the option to override
these decisions, in case we (or the programs we write) get it wrong. I'd
be interested in how other people visualise this? Should we make it
*totally* explicit (I'm -0 on this -- I'd rather we let the engine
'play'), should we make it totally implicit (and risk sub-optimal
performance)? Anything else?

P.