cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sergio Carvalho <scarva...@criticalsoftware.com>
Subject Re: idle thoughts in caching in c2
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:25:33 GMT
On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 13:44:42 -0500 (EST)
Donald Ball <balld@webslingerZ.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Sergio Carvalho wrote:
>
> > In my opinion, caching components should be part of the pipeline,
> > allowing for different caching methods to be used, and combined with
> > the different processors. In this scenario, cache doesn't even need to
> > be snapshot-based.
>
> do you mean that the caching components should be explicitly put in the
> pipeline in the sitemap:
>
> <map:cache type="lru"/>

Yes. A Cache interface could be defined, so that classes implementing caching are identified.
Then, these are placed in the pipeline, between each data-producer (or processor) and the
subsequent data-consumer.

Note that this doesn't invalidate a processor that handles its own caching (current C1 processors
do this). They should be able to do just that, in cases where cache methods are heavily intertwined
with the processing algorithm. But for all others (previously I used the xinclude processor
as an example), cache handling is better off in a separate entity.