cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <p...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject Re: [C2] Force-Load and DataSources
Date Sat, 06 Jan 2001 16:52:25 GMT
* Berin Loritsch (bloritsch@infoplanning.com) wrote :
> I was thinking, we should probably change the name of the
> init parameter "force-load" to "drivers" so that it is
> more clear that this is the perfect place to load the
> JDBC Driver in memory.  Instead of repeating the Driver
> setting and reloading the same class in multiple locations,
> I was thinking that the JDBC drivers should be loaded
> in the init-parameter since the functionality is the same,
> and it is only done once per driver.  That way, connections
> only need the dburl, the user, and the password.

Hmm. However, I tend to stick to the rule that we should use names that
say what they do. 'force-load' does exactly what it says on the tin. The
fact that the drivers happen to register themselves in their static
initializers (or constructors) is a side effect, rather than the aim. I
can see what you're trying to do, but I'm not keen on the implications
for those wishing to force-load non-driver classes. Maybe we could make
them an alias, so both 'force-load' and 'driver' force load a class.
Thoughts?

Paul.