cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <p...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject Re: [C2] DataSources Proposal
Date Fri, 05 Jan 2001 23:45:30 GMT
* Giacomo Pati (giacomo@apache.org) wrote :
> Berin Loritsch wrote:
> > In both instances, the DataSource is a Component, so every XSP page or any other
> > Composer will be able to have access to it.  (Imagine setting Actions to directly
> > handle the database without having to worry about complex configurations).
> +1024^1024 :))

I can feel an ArithmeticException coming on... ;)

> > Toward that end, I need to know if this is something that you guys would be interested
> > in having in the Cocoon source.
> +1 again

Definately and absolutely. Sorry I didn't reply earlier - tied up at work
at the moment.

> > If that is the case, I need to know what package name
> > to use.  I was thinking the following:
> > org.apache.cocoon.components.datasource/
> > DataSourceComponent
> > JdbcDataSource
> > J2eeDataSource

Fine by me. +1.

> Having this as a Component in the cocoon.xconf file is exactly what I'd
> like. I was thinking about how to implement a JDBC connection pool and
> looked into C1. But the Turbine pool isn't what I'd like to have in C2
> because it's not a Avalon Component and I think it doesn't fit into the
> C2 architecture.

Agreed. I started to do some work on it a while back when I (briefly)
started porting the esql tablib to C2. The Turbine stuff is good, but I
think we need something a little more general these days. Can't help
feeling there should be a central repository of interesting Avalon
components (note: not blocks, although I think that will come too).

Berin: I'm (relatively) free this weekend (read: only one project to
work on!) -- is there anything I can do to help?

Paul