cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Falko Braeutigam <fa...@smb-tec.com>
Subject Re: [C2] The whole picture
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2001 14:52:06 GMT
On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, you wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2001 09:34:03 +0100, Giacomo Pati wrote:
>
> >Donald Ball wrote:
> >>
> >> put simply, i'd say that c2 does two jobs:
> >>
> >> 1. handles the mapping from urlspace to content
> >>
> >> 2. helps transform content from structure designed for editing and
> >> mananging to structure designed for viewing
> >>
> >> the biggest thing i think cocoon lacks is a content management system. i
> >> don't know that a cms is necessarily appropriate as part of cocoon, but it
> >> would be nice to have one that complemented it.
> >
> >Prowler might be the CMS to use :)
> >
> >Giacomo
> >
> Maybe I miss smth, but it looks like when working with DBMS Prowler
> necessirelly extracts the whole DB table. This actually stops some
> develpers (including me) from using this

I would like to clarify things a bit. We started Prowler because we needed a
data integration layer (content management) between the presentation (Cocoon)
and the application server/database layer and we felt that all the
functionality of this data integration layer would be needed in many other web
application projects too. Well, but when we actually started coding we did not
know that much about Cocoon, XML, J2EE and all that kind of stuff. So the
current codebase is a more or less straight forward solution to see if it can
be done anyway and what are the actual requirements. We _did_ learn much about
the pitfalls of the current approach and we know Cocoon and other related
technologies better now. But there are still many things that have to be
discussed. Accessing SQL DBs is an example. But AFAIK a patch has been applied
that allows to access the result of any SQL statement instead of just entire
tables. Nothing is set in stone yet.

Falko