cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: Status of XMLCompiler - Please vote...
Date Wed, 17 Jan 2001 16:23:46 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > Paul Russell wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, that's fine, but a very strong -1 for just adding classes
> > because they 'might be useful'. If the cache needs them, then
> > that's fine, if something else *core* needs them, then that's fine,
> > but Cocoon2 is already 23,000 lines of code, let's not make it bigger
> > than it has to be. For those familiar with XP, You Ain't Gonna Need it.
> > For those who aren't <URL:http://www.extremeprogramming.org/> is *well*
> > worth a read, it might just change the way you work.
>
> Believe me, I am familiar with XP....Of course, you are right: just adding
> classes which are never be used by the project itself, should be avoided.
>
> OK, I didn't want to come up with this at this stage, but e.g. I could
> integrate the XMLCompiler into the FileGenerator for caching. So the
> FileGenerator can cache the parsed file using the XMLCompiler. This would
> speed up the FileGenerator (I think Stefano proposed that when he announced
> the XMLCompiler). This caching would be independent from the big caching
> algorithm C2 uses, like the caching of stylesheets in the XalanTransformer.
> In addition the big - yet-to-do - caching algorithm might need it, to cache
> partial responses. I don't mean caching at each stage in the pipeline!
> Sometimes it might be usefull to cache a response upto a specific point in
> the pipeline as all following stages are highly dynamic - but this is just
> a my thoguhts...

Ok, this sounds much better.

Don't mix cache and store. Cache is the thing we want to speed up processing
almost transparent to each component. The FileGenerator (when it uses the
XMLCompiler) can use the general component Store (as the Xalantransformer is
doing) to store compiled xml files into. Integrating the XMLCompiler into the
Filegenerator should be a snap, isn't it?

Giacomo