cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: [C2] Re: SchemoX (was: MVC, Struts and Cocoon)
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2000 18:02:55 GMT
At 15:44 +0100 05/12/00, Steffen Stundzig wrote:
>Hi Jeremy,
>

>On Tue, 5 Dec 2000 13:59:20 +0000 Jeremy Quinn <jeremy@media.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>> At 21:56 +0100 01/11/00, Steffen Stundzig wrote:
>> Dear Steffen,
>>
>> I just managed to get Schemox working under Cocoon 1 (phew!)
>Great! Nice to hear that. Were there any problems?

It was a bit of a struggle, but then I always have a horrible time with PCs
and BAT files (I'm pretty Maclexix ;)

>> Very nice ......
>Thanks.
>
>> First question .....
>And I'm sure not the last
>
>> How do you plan to get output from Schemox without it going through your
>> XHTML Renderer?
>>
>> Most people would prefer (I guess) to use XSL to transform output, not
>have
>> it hard-coded by a renderer class.
>
>The only thing that the renderer does is, to transform the method calls
>from the DefaultFormDesigner into XML, in this special case XHTML.
>
>If you wouldn't use the default XHTMLRenderer implementation you have to
>write a Class that implements the interfaces of FormRenderer or
>FormDesigner.
>Then these class must transform the method calls from the prior invoker
>into XML e.g. DOM or SAXEvents.
>
>One feasibility:
>  If you wouldn't use the DefaultFormDesigner you write your own
>FormDesigner
>implementation and transform the method calls from the SchemaComposer into
>XML.
>In this case you can ignore the FormRender.
>
>Another:
>  If you wouldn't use the XHTMLRenderer, but the DefaultFormDesigner you
>write
>your own FormRenderer implementation and transform the method calls from
>the
>DefaultFormDesigner into XML.
>

>SchemoX can automatically validate the user input, therefore it needs
>a HashMap with the names of the form controls as keys and there values
>as values. :-) In the current XSP sample I receive it from the
>HTTPRequest.
>

>Hope that helps.

I'd like to understand the flow of your software, and how the components
might be used independantly if necessary.

I feel horrible saying this, I can imagine the amount of work that has gone
into this project ... but in both Cocoon1 and Cocoon2 it is likely that
what you have produced would be best used in a more modular way.

For instance I think Giacomo talked about how different SiteMap components
might use different Schemox components, independantly.

I was wondering how I could take the validation components and use them by
themselves in a TagLib for Cocoon 1.

But I could easily be missing the whole point :)

Thanks

regards Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre