cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: XObject
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2000 12:35:45 GMT
At 11:43 +0000 04/12/00, Paul Russell wrote:
>On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 11:13:33AM +0000, Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>> At 10:47 +0000 04/12/00, Paul Russell wrote:
>> >Works for me, although there was talk of calling it XObject2
>> >or something to remove any chance of people being confused...
>> For Cocoon 1, let's just bung some code into XSPPage.java where it checks
>> to see if it has an XObject .....
>> It could become something like .....
>>     // Convertible to DOM
>>     if (v instanceof org.apache.cocoon.xml.XObject){
>>       DocumentFragment fragment = factory.createDocumentFragment();
>>       ((org.apache.cocoon.xml.XObject) v).toDOM(fragment);
>>       return fragment;
>>     }
>>     if (v instanceof org.apache.cocoon.framework.XObject){
>> 			// issue depreciation warning, then output it anyway
>>       DocumentFragment fragment = factory.createDocumentFragment();
>>       ((org.apache.cocoon.framework.XObject) v).toDOM(fragment);
>>       return fragment;
>>     }
>> Does this help?
>
>Yep. That's fine - understood that. I think the discussion was
>more that having too classes called 'XObject' floating around
>might confuse logic sheet writers, rather than core developers!
>(Hey, we're already dealing with 23,000 lines of code - what's
>another object between friends :)

OK, but there are probably more core developers than logicsheet writers :)

So, if someone uses org.apache.cocoon.framework.XObject, in Cocoon 1 it
will still work. If they use it with Cocoon 2 they will get
compilation/depreciation errors on their XSP, is that not clear enough?

Maybe the code for Cocoon 2 that handles XObject can issue a polite warning ?

If this is not suitable, we have to change the name.

Sorry, I would -1 XObject2, just don't like names like that :<

How about something like XInterface, XHandler, XSPObject?

Comments anyone?
Ricardo, are you lurking?

regards Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design