cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Vadim Gritsenko" <vgritse...@hns.com>
Subject RE: XSPGenerator
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2000 17:07:53 GMT
I think this is an exellent idea!
I assume that <map:pipeline name="menu"> can have inner <map:transform>
tags.

PS BTW, what is FS?

Vadim

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Russell [mailto:paulr@luminas.co.uk]On Behalf Of Paul Russell
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2000 11:20
To: cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org; giacomo@apache.org
Subject: Re: XSPGenerator

On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 07:26:53AM -0800, Giacomo Pati wrote:
> Technically its easy to achieve this for a sitemap engine by
> instructing the Environment to setup a new URL to recursively invoke
> itself but this is only getting content from another URL but not
> aggegation of that at the generator level. You still need some
> constructs like
>
>   <map:aggregator uri1="foo" uri2="bar" uri3="baz" rootelement="page"/>
>
> to get at multiple sub-pipelines and information how to structure these
> contents (rootelement).

Should we aim for a full featured pipeline-sans-serializer for
the aggregation. For example, should I be able to do:

<map:aggregate>
	<map:pipeline name="menu">
		<map:match pattern="admin/**">
			<map:generate src="content/menus/admin.xml"/>
		</map:match>
		<map:match pattern="**">
			<map:generate src="content/menus/default.xml"/>
		</map:match>
	</map:pipeline>
	<map:pipeline name="content">
		<map:match pattern="welcome">
			<map:generate src="content/welcome.xml"/>
		</map:match>
	</map:pipeline>
</map:aggregate>
<map:transform src="stylesheets/aggregate-to-layout.xsl"/>
<map:transform src="stylesheets/layout-to-html.xsl"/>
<map:serialize/>

or is that FS? (By the way, what is the semantics of the existing
'pipeline' element? I've never seen a sitemap have more than one,
but it seems to have survived the transition from the old sitemap
to the new, indicating it's useful, somehow).

If that *is* FS, then what's the alternative?

I can't see a reason to let people specify the schema of the results
of the aggregation at the moment, can anyone else? I'd suggest the
results of the above were something like:

<agg:aggregation>
	<agg:pipeline name="menu">
		<!-- Menu XML -->
	</agg:pipeline>
	<agg:pipeline name="content">
		<!-- content XML -->
	</agg:pipeline>
</agg:aggregation>

Nested aggregations would work in the obvious way. People can then
use a stylesheet to translate the above into their own layout
namespaces, if they so desire.

Thoughts?

P.
Luminas Ltd.