cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Reid <jr...@agency.com>
Subject RE: C2 Sitemap - Using a rule based engine ?
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2000 14:56:52 GMT
Just jumping in a bit on this thread...

> On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 03:22:39PM +0100, Eric SCHAEFFER wrote:
> > Using more powerfull rules, kind of "intelligence", being
> able to create
> > personalized sites (using explicit and implicit
> personalization), etc...
>
> Ahh, you mean so that, for example, the system could 'guess' what
> areas of a site the user might be interested in? I agree that that
> is an honourable goal, but I don't think this functionality belongs
> in the sitemap. The sitemap is the central hub of Cocoon2, and needs
> to run as fast as possible, which means keeping the complexity of it
> relatively low. At present, the sitemap uses 'Matchers' and
> 'Selectors' to choose which pipeline to generate a request with.
> Although these are relatively simple tools, they provide an incredibly
> flexible architecture in which to manage a site. If you felt a need
> to use AI to route requests to pipelines, there is no reason why you
> couldn't write a selector using this technology to achieve it...

Going as far as personalization with a rules engine is a much larger
scope than the sitemap, and is something that could justify it's
own OSS project.

I haven't looked at the code for the Sitemap and how it applies
matchers yet, but I have worked on a Rete-based rules engine.  The
two concepts are very similar, in fact, I envisioned one use of
the engine as routing requests to servlets.  The algorithms developed for
Rete and its successors might very well make the "Matching" process
of the Sitemap more efficient (especially for larger, more complex
sites).  Of course, it would add significantly to the work needed.

	>	Jason Reid
		jreid@agency.com

		"Do not meddle in the affairs of programmers,
		 for they are subtle and quick to anger."