cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Schmitt, Christian" <Christian.Schm...@Dresdner-Bank.com>
Subject [C2] Memory consumption
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2000 08:38:40 GMT
Hi all,
after getting C2 and Tomcat 4.0 CVS working again (thanks Stuart!) I'm
having my next challenge.
When C2 tries to compile the sitemap after a TC restart I get the following
stacktrace in the browser (besides the usual C2 error message):

org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: The sitemap handler's sitemap is not
available.
        at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Manager.invoke(Manager.java:88)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.service(CocoonServlet.java:317)
        at
ain.java:215)
        at
va:251)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:977)
        at
va:196)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:977)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2038)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:161
)
        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ValveBase.invokeNext(ValveBase.java:242)
        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:414)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:975)
        at
:159)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:977)
        at
818)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.run(HttpProcessor.java:897)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

After looking at the log file I found the following:

2000-12-20 16:34:26 ERROR   17447   [cocoon  ] (Thread-13): Error compiling
sitemap, caught java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: null

This happens on our Linux box (Debian 2.2, Sun JDK 1.3). On my NT box I do
get the sitemap compiled, but just barely (I think). Memory usage of the JVM
is at about 72MB after compiling the sitemap (on NT that is).

The I did some debugging to find out where the memory hog is, and I traced
it down to the generateCode() method in
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.markup.LogicsheetCodeGenerator.java.
There on line 123 the call "this.rootReader.parse(input);" is throwing the
OutOfMemory exception.

This morning I saw Robin Green committed a change to todo.xml:
  +  <action context="code" assigned-to="RDG">
  +   Track down cause of OutOfMemoryError and multiple PDF problems.

May be it's got something to do with my issue as well.

Cheers,
Christian Schmitt